History of the Wintergarden Building
The Geelong Wintergarden was designed by architect Benjamin Blackhouse and originally constructed as a Congregational Church in 1853 - 1854.
1854 The McKillop Street Congregational Church was officially opened
1878 The building was purchased by the Victorian Colonial Government and converted into a Drill Hall and Orderly Room for the Geelong Corps of The Royal Victorian Volunteer Artillery Regiment
1907 Bollington Hop Beer Company began operation in the Wintergarden building
1914 Bollingtons is taken over by Taits Soft Drink Company
1920 The building is occupied by McLintocks Vinegar Pty Ltd making lemon seltzer drinks, malt vinegar and McLintocks Jellies
1949 Carews Dry Cleaning use the building for their dry cleaning business
1989 The building is completely renovated and re-opened as what is now known as the Geelong Wintergarden, comprising several retail businesses.